Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Memes

I don't often think about Feminism and Memes together. However, recently Facebook has been populated with a "What People Think I Do..." meme. The premise is the perspective of different groups of people about what the author does. There have been posts about professors, teachers, lawyers, stay-at-home moms, students etc. It wasn't more than a day when the feminist version showed up in my feed.


This picture shows four perspectives of feminism/feminists. The first is the conservative political rhetoric that is both overt and covertly negative when directed at feminism and women/gender issues in general. The second photo represents the angry/warrior image that society generalizes with the women's movement and feminist agendas. I feel that this image is often perceived from the 60's, 70's, and 80's feminist movement located in what theorists call the second wave. This time in history showcased women who were exclusive, angry, and passionate about their plight. Being exclusive and angry hurt the women's movement by increasing marginalization of women other than the white middle/upper class activists. I can identify with the third image where the Rosie the Riveter and the "I Can Do It" attitude. When I look at this section I wish it were the final slide and not only "What I Think I Can Do". It is the action that I crave and not the final image of Wonder Woman shaking her head in disgust? disagreement? dissolution? This is not the final image I identify with as a feminist. Maybe I would like the image of myself to be that of a strong Wonder Woman rescuing and protecting others.

2 comments:

  1. I was just talking to a family member of mine about a book I read recently called The Woman Warrior. In the book the main character wants to be a strong warrior woman figure, but in reality she is much more soft spoken than her inner conviction would lead us to believe.

    I related that like the woman from the book, I have strong resolve, and know what I believe is right and wrong, but I still lack courage, confidence, and a strong presence in many of my interactions in upholding my values. I make faces, or grow silent, or simply say I don't approve of something and start crying helplessly, or keep my responses uncharacteristically brief if asked to explain why.

    I don't really like that image of Wonder Woman, but I think I understand what it is trying to convey. Sometimes I feel like Wonder Woman, but when I take action, I don't present myself with the power and conviction I imagine, and fall short in my moments of showing my feminist resolve.

    I think that many women likely feel this way, and recognize that acting like a feminist is harder than thinking like one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Heather. I like looking at this through your lens. It's true that I also feel overwhelmed as an active feminist. So maybe I can identify with WW more. However I think a picture of an average woman, one like me would be a better representation. :-)

    ReplyDelete